Sunday, November 16, 2008

Book Review: Twilight


Name: Twilight
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Others in the Series: New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn
Brief summary: Isabella "Bella" Swan moves from sunny Phoenix, Arizona, to rainy Forks, Washington, to live with her father, Charlie. She chooses to do this so that her mother, Renée, can travel with her new husband, Phil Dwyer, who is a minor league baseball player. In Phoenix she was a bit of an outcast, so it surprises her that she attracts much attention at her new school, and is quickly befriended by several students. Much to her dismay, several boys in the school compete for shy Bella's attention.
When Bella sits next to Edward Cullen in class on her first day of school, Edward seems utterly repulsed by her. He even attempts to change his schedule to avoid her, leaving Bella completely puzzled about his attitude towards her. After tricking a family friend, Jacob Black, into telling her the local tribal legends, Bella concludes that Edward and his family are vampires. Although she was inexplicably attracted to him even when she thought Edward drank human blood, she is much relieved to learn that the Cullens choose to abstain from drinking human blood, and drink animal blood instead. Over time, Edward and Bella fall in love. (from wikipedia.com)
Grade/Age level: 13 and up
Cautions: Vampire-ness, a really scary scene (meaning it scared the heck outta me!)That sorta stuff. Oh. And be prepared. You WILL fall in love with Edward Cullen. I'm sorry.
If you like this book, you might also like . . . Harry Potter?
Personal Opinion: Woooahhhh dude! I was kinda skeptical when I first opened the book. This was AFTER I begged and begged and begged my mom to let me read it. Than I opened it and thought, "I'm not going to like it. It's going to be the biggest waste of time. Why am I doing this??" And boy, I was surprised! Yes, there are vampires in it. But they don't even SAY that Edward's a vampire until like, halfway through the book. And even then, it's not the whole plot. My friend is really into the whole vampire/emo stuff. But, this is really MILD vampire-ness. If you liked Harry Potter, you will like this. :)
Rating: 10/10
Random tidbit: The movie is coming out soon!! And the guy who's playing Edward Cullen played Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. And the girl who plays Bella was apparently in Zathura and In the Land of Women. Neither of which I have seen.

2 comments:

The Other Katie said...

In answer to the random tidbit: I've seen her in Zathura. She's pretty funny actually, as the older sister who doesn't give a hoot about her brothers. Her dad leaves them all alone in the house, she takes a nap, and (I'm not going to explain exactly how) while she's asleep their house is transported to outer space and her brothers are battling with aliens. Eventually she wakes up, notices that it's dark outside and thinks she'll be late for her date. XD

Anonymous said...

Twilight was amazing i don't like Harry Potter, but i could really sink my teeth into twilight it was amazing. I wasn't going to read it but I did because I wanted to see what everybody got excited about.