Friday, March 13, 2009

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale


Name: Princess Academy
Author: Shannon Hale
Brief summary: When the priests predict that the prince's future wife will come from the mountains, everyone is shocked at the idea. When the King's Men come to let those from the "chosen" mountain town know that every girl aged 12-18 must come to "The Princess Academy", Miri is less than thrilled. Miri, a girl filled with imagination, character and wit, is angered when she is told she doesn't get a choice and must go to the Princess Academy, especially when she realizes her sister, Marda, is a few days too old to go with her. Miri, along with every other girl, goes to the Princess Academy to be taught how to act, dress, eat and do everything else a princess must. Along the way, Miri makes an unexpected friend, Britta. Britta recently moved to the mountains from a city and was recently orphaned. This book was filled to the brim with adventure and romance.
Grade/Age level: 12 and up
Cautions: None
If you like this book, you will also like....Any book by Gail Carson Levine, Especially Ella Enchanted.
Personal Opinion: The same cousin who gave me Cycler gave me this book YEARS ago. I randomly found it while cleaning my room and decided to give it a shot. As I read it, memories of me rereading Ella Enchanted for the trillionth time filled my head. Miri and Ella have much in common, including that both are spunky and they both fight their way through different trials. Princess Academy was a fun book that I HATED to put down.
Rating: 9/10

3 comments:

The Other Katie said...

sounds cool!

HEY you stole my booklist! copy-cat. :-P

Bernadette said...

I love this book. :-P It's pretty good. Goose Girl, Enna Burning, and River Secrets (also by Shannon Hale, are even better.....but you might already know about them. :-D

The Real Katie said...

Hey Bernadette! I just finished Goose Girl the other day! I LOVED IT! You're right, it is better. :)

Enna Burning is a sequel, right? What about River Secrets? I'd heard of Enna Burning, but not River Secrets.