Monday, March 16, 2009

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine


Name: Ella Enchanted

Author: Gail Carson Levine

Brief summary: When Ella of Frell was born, the foolish fairy, Lucinda, gave her the gift of obedience. Of course, as Ella grows up, she looks at that "gift" as a curse. Any command she is given, Ella has to obey. It could be something as simple as, "Clean your room." or something much worse, like, "Chop your head off.". When Ella is fifteen, she decides to find the foolish Lucinda and ask her to talk the curse off. This book follows Ella as she goes to finishing school, her father gets remarried and ultimately, she falls in love with the gorgeous Prince Charmont, Prince Char for short. Will Ella get the curse off and get the happy ending that she dreams of?

Grade/Age level: 10 and up

Cautions: None

If you like this book, you will also like.... Princess Academy by Shannon Hale

Personal Opinion: I read this book when I was about ten and it's been my totally favorite book since. It was always at the top of my "favorite books list", even above Harry Potter! Those who knew me at this age will find this as a shock, as I was a Harry obsessor from ages 8-12.

Rating: 10/10

4 comments:

The Other Katie said...

yay Ella Enchanted! LOVE this book!

Minni-Mo said...

Hey Katie,(the real one)

I've been checking Regina Doman's blog regularly and when I noticed that you seemed to be another frequent visitor I looked at your profile. I read a TON of books and am always looking for other recommendations...so when I saw the books that you listed as your favorites I was excited to see titles I had never read before.

I recently checked out 'Romeo's Ex', 'Saving Juliet', and 'Dear John' from my library. I have to be honest and tell you that I was really disappointed that while you say one of your interests is chastity, the books you are telling the world you read are hardly reflect purity at all. I'm not trying to be judgmental, I just thought being another Catholic homeschooler teenage girl (who loves good romances) I should let you know.

At one point you commented on Regina's site that your mom hadn't wanted you to read the Twilight books when she first saw them, which I understand... but she's ok with you reading Nicholas Sparks books? I've never brought any of his books home except 'A Walk to Remember' (which was wonderful) and 'Dear John', at your recommendation, because I know so many of them are filled with evil.

Please don't be upset with me, I'm just expressing my personal feelings. And please don't feel that I'm stalking you or anything...I'm not!!! but I check Regina's site a lot and so I see your comments.

Peace,
Dominica (Minni-Mo)

p.s. if you are looking for some other TERRIFIC Catholic romance novels you should read 'Arms of Love' and 'Surrender' by Carmen Marcoux...they are fantastic!!!

The Real Katie said...

Hey, Dominica!

BTW, That's my grandma's name! Are you Italian? Do people ever call you Minnie?

Recently, my concience started to bother me about some of the books I read, so I haven't been reading Nicholas Sparks anymore. I've been trying to read more classics and children's books, which usually are appropriate.

My mom's problem with Twilight wasn't the romance or sex, but the vampires. She's really not a fan of vampires.

I love a Walk to Remember, book and movie. It was because of that and the Notebook I started to read his other books. I honestly regret it.

I'm not angry with you! I honestly can't get angry at anyone very easily. Except my mom. :P

I've been wanting to read Arms of Love FOREVER!!

Since it seems we like some of the same genres, would you mind giving me some ideas?

I highly recommend Beverly Lewis and Janette Oke. They're Christian authors and write amazing books.

Thanks for stopping by!!

Love,

Katie (The Real One :))

Minni-Mo said...

Hi Katie!

No, I'm not Italian but my mom had a great friend named Domenica and of course, St. Dominic. I've never actually heard of another person having my name so that's cool!

Thanks for becoming a follower of my very small blog ;)

I love Janette Oke books!! they're terrific! and I've read 'Saving Sarah Cain' by Beverly Lewis.

I've been working on a recommendation site on librarything.com for a while now (it's got about 60 books so far) and I'll post the link on my blog here, ok!

I understand how easy it is to keep reading books even when you know you shouldn't...I have such a hard time putting anything down, especially if the cover is very well illustrated (I know, don't judge a book by its cover) ;)

Thanks for replying!
~Dominica